Adding boxes to your guide is key.
I mean, how else are you going to get your smarts out to the world??
We have many types of boxes...in the neighborhood of 20, if you wanna know.
Woah...that's a lot! How do I figure out which one to use??
I'm glad you asked! It all depends on the type of information you want to add to the box:
- Just need some text and/or images? Use a Rich Text Box.
- Adding links? Use a Simple Web Links or Links & Lists Box.
- Adding book information? Use a Books from the Catalog Box.
More info about boxes:
- We try to make it obvious what the box is for.
- Every box has a rich text portion (the add text link at the top)...
- ...but the functionality of the box is at the bottom.
That's where you'll see Add New Link or Add New Box or Add RSS Feed, etc.
For specific instructions, see our Box Types Guide.
Anatomy of a Box
It might be useful to see an example of what I'm talking about.
Make a bit more sense now?
Now that you've checked that out, check out the boxes below to see a bit about the most used boxes in the system.
Then check out the Box Types guide for more information & examples!
Rich Text Box
The Rich Text box is like the superhero of box types.
You can do anything in a Rich Text box. It's that good.
Add text, lists, images, tables, etc.
You can even add widgets - see the Box Types guide for more info.
Just be careful when copying & pasting from outside sources. That can sometimes have...bizarre consequenses. Read more...
Books from the Catalog
Books boxes can be used for more than just books: you can add CDs & DVDs too!
Black Flag, The Minutemen, Mission of Burma, Minor Threat, Hüsker Dü, The Replacements, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, Big Black, Dinosaur Jr, Fugazi...
Simple Web Links
Simple Web Links creates a quick list of links, as seen below.
You can add descriptions which will appear if you hover over the link. Try it!
All Songs Considered from NPR
Links & Lists
Links & Lists creates links, too...so how is it different from the Simple Web Links box?
- Link descriptions appear on the page
- There's a "More Information" area (blue i icon)
- Users can rate resources