We have a whole guide detailing all of the steps for moving over to v2 in our v2 support documentation, but wanted to give folks an overview of the process here, so you can see it really isn't scary! :)
We've also heard some misconceptions of the whole process, so we're going to clear those up as well.
Important to know:
- Schedule your migration / go live dates on your own by December 31, 2017. After that, we'll schedule the dates for you.
- Go live must be complete by January 31, 2018.
- We're here to help! We even offer Migration Assistance.
- This is a huge opportunity to do new things - or do things differently. Take those lessons learned from when you first started using LibGuides (we all have them!) and make your v2 site even better. :)
So, without further ado, here's the process:
- This is where we hand you the keys to your new v2 site.
- Your v1 site remains at its current URL - it is still your live site.
- No data or accounts are imported yet - that happens later, during migration.
- Your site is on a temporary domain which has the word beta in it, because you are not live with this site.
- The last step of the process (go-live) is moving off of that temporary domain to the domain you are currently using for v1.
- Learn how to create content in v2.
- Learn how to manage and customize v2.
- Take training sessions / teach your colleagues (or have them take the training, too!).
- Before migrating, it can be helpful to review your v1 content and get rid of stuff you don't want to migrate.
- There are also certain box types that will not migrate to v2. We provide a report of what boxes will not migrate so you can make any needed changes.
- Pre-migrate accounts to give your staff time to learn v2 before going live.
- Pre-migrate databases to start building your A-Z Database List.
- Pre-migrate groups to start customizing account access.
- Pre-migrate your header and footer to make your v2 site feel more like home.
- You have 3 options for migration / go live:
- Express Migration: Migrate content and go live with your v2 system on the same day.
- Regular Migration: Migrate content on one day and go live on another (no later than 60 days after migration).
- Skip Migration: Don't migrate any content - just schedule your go live date and create new / recreate v1 content in your v2 system.